Get the best results.
Having the best results possible after your tattoo removal takes proper care and some precautions, but doing so will ensure you get the best possible results. Having proper post-tattoo removal care will also eliminate the possibility of infection, skin texture change or other unwanted side effects. When you visit New Canvas, Calgary Laser Tattoo Removal, we will provide you all the information you need for proper post treatment care.
Laser tattoo removal creates a superficial skin wound. Some patients may experience bruising or swelling. There is immediate whitening of the treated area, which typically lasts about a couple of minutes. Some clients may experience blisters, crusts, or scabs within 8 to 72 hours, and these can last about 1-2 weeks. The treated skin may be pale or pink after the scab separates. Scarring can occur but is extremely rare. Healing typically takes around 4 weeks.
Steps to Follow:
- Keep the treated area clean and dry while healing. Clean the area gently with soup and water and then pat dry. You may apply a small amount of antibiotic cream to the area up to three times a day for three days after the initial treatment, and be sure to cover the area with sterile dressing for those 3 days.
- Blistering is common and likely to occur after the first 8 hours of treatment. Do not be shocked, blisters heal very well and are part of the natural healing process. Blisters are an indication your immune system is healing the area and removing the ink from the tattoo. It is natural for blisters to burst. After a blister has popped, apply antibiotic ointment for at least 24 hours.
- To relieve discomfort and inflammation, apply a cool compress as necessary for 24 hours after initial treatment. You can also take Tylenol to help ease the pain, but avoid aspirin, as this can increase the risk of bruising or bleeding.
- Do not pick at the scab or allow the skin to become scraped, as this may result in infection and scarring. Shaving should be avoided in the treated area until fully healed as well.
- Feel free to shower 2 hours after the treatment, but take care to avoid high pressure water going on the treated area. Baths, hot tubs and swimming pools are all not recommended, as they may increase chances of infection.
- Exercise freely, but take note of the skincare guidelines in the previous steps as well.
- Be sure to apply sun block with an SPF of 25 or higher over the area for 3 months following treatment. Do not wear makeup or any cream near the treated area.
- Itching is very common due to the dehydrating effect of laser treatment. Use Aquaphor, vitamin E ointment, or hydrocortisone cream to keep the area moisturized.
- If an infection starts to appear (honey colored crusting and oozing or spreading redness), if you experience an unusual discomfort or bleeding, if any other complications develop, or for questions or concerns, contact New Canvas right away.
We are here to help in any of your tattoo removal needs. For a full list of services, visit here or contact us today.